Meet Your Web Host
Editor & Reporter
Hi, My name is Kevin (learn more about me here) and welcome to this site.
As Editor and Reporter for Healthy-Oil-Planet.com, I've researched the health benefits of natural oils and tried to present you the most accurate and current information for enhancing your health with these products.
Thank you for visiting and I hope you find this site helpful and informative.
Cholesterol drops by 19% in Neptune Krill Oil and Cholesterol Study
Want a natural way to lower high cholesterol levels by up to 19%? A recent study on Neptune Krill Oil and cholesterol reveals that this unique marine oil might be able to lower high cholesterol, improve your HDL levels and normalize triglyceride levels without any side effects.
Montreal, Canada – Many people are aware of the health benefits of omega 3 fatty acids, especially those found in fish oils. These special fats are proven to reduce high cholesterol and triglyceride levels. But there is a new type of marine oil called krill oils that may be even more effective than fish oil for lowering high cholesterol levels.
Researchers took a group of one hundred and twenty (120) patients with high fat levels in their blood and gave them either krill oil, fish oil or a placebo:
- Group 1 – took 0.5 – 1.5 grams/day of Neptune Krill Oil (NKO)
- Group 2 – received 2 – 3 grams/day of NKO
- Group 3 – received Fish Oil (FO) containing 180 mg of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid)
and 120 mg of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) at 3 grams/day
- Group 4 – received a placebo of crystalline cellulose
The Neptune Krill Oil and cholesterol study lasted for 3 months and then blood tests were conducted at the beginning and end of the study to measure any differences in total cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL, and LDL.
Results of Neptune Krill Oil and Cholesterol Study
1. Patients taking 3 grams/day of Fish Oils:
- Total cholesterol dropped by 6%
- LDL (unhealthy cholesterol) decreased by 4%
- HDL (healthy cholesterol) increased by 4%
So there results do confirm earlier reports that fish oils do help lower cholesterol and improve blood lipids.
But researchers were surprised at what the people taking krill oil experienced:
2. Patients taking 500 mg/day of Neptune Krill Oil:
- Total cholesterol decreased by 19%
- LDL decreased by 44%
- HDL increased by 33%
Researchers learned that taking a single 500 mg a day dose of krill oil resulted in a 300% improvement in cholesterol readings compared to fish oils and there was also a substantial difference in the LDL and HDL cholesterol levels.
3. Patients taking 3 grams/day of Neptune Krill Oil also experienced similar results:
- Total cholesterol decreased by 18%
- LDL decreased by 39%
- HDL increased by 60%
So it appears that even increasing the dosage of krill oils by almost 6 times to 3 grams a day will have similar results on cholesterol blood levels.
So in the end, it turns out that Neptune krill oil could be a a very effective supplement to use to lower elevated high cholesterol levels. And it appears that this marine oil is almost 3 times more effective than using fish oils.
Research Results of Use of Krill Oils on Cholesterol:
- Helps reduce high cholesterol levels
- Lowered LDL (unhealthy cholesterol)
- Lowered triglyceride levels
- Increased HDL (healthy cholesterol)
- May be more effective than fish oils for managing high lipid levels in the blood.
- Surpassed fish oils for a greater reduction in LDL (the bad cholesterol).
- The lower maintenance dose of 500 mg. of krill oil appeared to offer more noticeable health benefits compared to fish oils and placebo.
I still believe that fish oil is an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids and there are documented health benefits of fish oils. But after looking over the data, it appears certain brands of krill oils may offer improved results for improving elevated blood lipid levels.
Fish oils are currently the most popular omega 3 supplement for many health-conscious consumers. Krill oils may soon join its marine cousin at the front of the class as another way to naturally improve your cardiovascular health.
Alternative Medicine Review. 2004 Dec;9(4):420-8. Evaluation of the effects of Neptune Krill Oil on the clinical course of hyperlipidemia. Neptune Krill Oil and Cholesterol Study. Bunea R, El Farrah K, Deutsch L. Department of Internal Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.