Using Oil of Oregano for Children
Is it safe to give Oil of Oregano to children?
And what’s the correct oregano oil dosage for kids?
Oil of Oregano has grown in popularity due to its natural antiseptic properties.
This plant oil contains the active ingredients Carvacrol and Thymol.
These two ingredients were found to have anti-microbial properties and can be useful in many medical conditions.
They have been shown to be effective against a number of bacteria, including Listeria monocytogenes, E. Coli and Salmonella.
As a parent, you may be wondering if it’s safe to give Oil of Oregano to your children.
Here you’ll learn guidelines for administering oregano oil and suggested dosages.
ATTENTION: The following information is not medical advice. Please consult with your Family Physician before administering Oil of Oregano to your child.
Suggested Oil of Oregano Guidelines for Children
Oil of Oregano has been considered safe to give to children, however, there are some important factors to consider before giving it to your child:
Does your Child have a History of Allergies?
- – To avoid possible allergic reactions, do not give Oil of Oregano to your child if they have a history of allergies to oregano, thyme or any other spices belonging to the same family tree as oregano.
- Strong Oregano Flavor of the Oil
- – Oregano oil has a very strong spicy flavor.
- – Some parents add a couple drops of oregano oil to glass of juice or milk to make it easier to ingest.
Recommended Oil of Oregano Dosages for Children
The following recommendations are based on information received from a number of Oil of Oregano manufacturers and ingredient labels from a variety of oregano oil products.
NOTE: This information is not to be construed as medical advice.
- Oil of Oregano for Children 5 – 10 years old
- – Use 1 drop, 1 – 3 times per day mixed in juice or milk.
- Oil of Oregano for Children 10 years old and older
- – Use 3 drops, three times per day in juice or milk.
- Oil of Oregano for Children under 5 years old
- – Manufacturers suggest avoid giving Oil of Oregano internally (by mouth) to children under 5 years of age.
- – Oil of Oregano may be applied externally to the soles of feet and spine of children under 5 years of age.
- – Dilute 1 part oregano oil with 4 parts olive oil and apply externally to the above recommended areas only.
- – Avoid getting any Oil of Oregano in the eyes, mouth, mucous membranes and genital region.
Many manufacturers recommend discontinuing using Oil of Oregano on your children after 7 – 10 days of use.
If any health condition has not improved, it’s recommended you consult with your family doctor immediately.
Using a Guide to Buying Oil of Oregano can help you choose the best products based on the amount of active ingredients and deciding between bottled oils and capsules.