Review of Spectrum Coconut Oil
What is Spectrum Coconut Oil and is it better than other oils? Spectrum Natural Coconut Oil is an organic, expeller-pressed oil.
Spectrum coconut oil is made by Spectrum, a company founded by Jethren Phillips in 1986.
As the company grew, it began to slowly expand its organic oil product line. It’s reported that Spectrum was one of the first companies to bring flaxseed oils to the USA.
Spectrum now offers organic certified supplements, including fish oils, flaxseed oils, various culinary oils and of course, certified organic coconut oils.
Spectrum claims to use only coconuts that are grown without pesticides.
Their coconut oils are advertised to contain about 92% saturated fat which makes it a very stable healthy fat at room temperature.
These types of natural oils are a great alternative to butter and they can be substituted for shortening in many baking and cooking recipes.
The company also claims that they get the majority of their products from small farms, often run by families committed to sustainable agriculture and organic farming practices.
Spectrum has three types of coconut oil:
1. Spectrum Naturals Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
- the oil is 100% mechanically expeller-pressed from organic coconuts.
- Unrefined coconut oils are one of the purest forms to get. You should use unrefined coconut oils if you want the fullest flavor and the highest nutrient content from your oils.
- Available in 14 oz jars and Suggested Retail Prices are about $9 a jar.
2. Spectrum Naturals Organic Refined Coconut Oil
- This is the ‘refined’ version of their organic coconut oils.
- Refined coconut oils are slightly more ‘processed’ than unrefined oils, so they tend to have more neutral flavors.
- This particular product can be used for cooking and baking due to it possessing a much higher smoke point, compared to the unrefined oils.
3. Spectrum Essentials Organic Coconut Oil for Body and Hair
- An excellent skin and hair oil due to its lack of any added preservatives or fragrances.
- May be suitable for individuals with allergies to man-made chemicals or people with sensitive skin.
- These oils are completely natural and edible. It comes in a 15 oz. plastic container.