Meet Your Web Host
Editor & Reporter
Hi, My name is Kevin (learn more about me here) and welcome to this site.
As Editor and Reporter for Healthy-Oil-Planet.com, I've researched the health benefits of natural oils and tried to present you the most accurate and current information for enhancing your health with these products.
Thank you for visiting and I hope you find this site helpful and informative.
Health Benefits of Krill Oil
Do you take fish oils for better health?
If so, you may want to know about an exciting new supplement called krill oil that may be better than fish oils for improving your health and well-being.
Scientific studies show krill oils may be superior for the following reasons:
* Improved absorption
* More pure than some fish oil products
* Better antioxidant power than fish oils
And latest research shows this marine oil can reduce high cholesterol, lower inflammation and joint pain, reduce PMS symptoms and it may even improve your skin tone and elasticity.
What Exactly is Krill Oil?
Krill oils are extracted from the bodies of krill; small shrimp-like creatures that number in the hundreds of millions.
These tiny crustaceans are fed on by fish, squid and even the Blue Whale. The Japanese and some other European cultures have used the tiny shrimp for seafood dishes, but it’s usually farmed for fish feed.
The krill are caught in large nets and processed to make krill meal. The meal meal then goes through a special manufacturing process that produces the oil.
Due to the shrimp being at the bottom of the food chain, they usually don’t eat larger fish which may contain higher levels of mercury. These types of oils rarely contains any traces of mercury, PCB’s and other contaminants which usually have to be removed from a standard fish oil when it’s being processed.
Is Krill Oil Really Better than Fish Oils?
While both of these supplements offer you an excellent sources of the omega 3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), there are a few differences in the chemical make-up of krill that may make it superior to other supplements:
1. More Efficiently Absorbed:
- In fish oils the EPA and DHA are either chemically attached to a triglyceride or ethyl-ester molecule. In krill oils, the healthy fats are actually attached to a phospholipid molecule. Scientists believe that our bodies can absorb the phospholipid-based fatty acids more efficiently than the other oil-based fatty acids.
2. Source of Brain Nourishing Fats:
- Krill oils provide docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), in the phospholipid-form. It turns out that our brains and retinas are primarily made up of DHA which allows krill oil to be more easily absorbed by our bodies. Phospholipids also form a protective membrane in every cell in your body and are essential for nerve and brain health.
3. Powerful Antioxidant Protection:
- This nutrient is also an excellent source of Astaxanthin, a powerful antioxidant which is stronger than Vitamin E and beta carotene. Ingesting astaxanthin in the phospholipid-base is reported to be more easily absorbed by cell membranes where it can provide more protection than other antioxidants.
- Researchers in Sweden discovered that 6 mg a day of Astaxanthin increases cellular oxygen uptake which can dramatically boost your aerobic power. And not only that, Japanese researchers found that 4 mg a day of Astaxanthin caused a 45% reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in certain patients.
4. Virtually Free of Contaminants and Side Effects:
- The problems with eating fish is it may increase your exposure to mercury. Your mercury exposure increases incrementally as smaller fish are eaten by bigger fish. Krill feed exclusively on phyto-plankton and algae which greatly reduces your exposure to mercury and other contaminants. And the phospholipid-based oils may also be easier to digest than some fish oils which may lower your risk for fishy burps and gas.
Can You Get Side Effects from Krill Supplements?
While this healthy oil is made from natural sources, there’s still the possibility of experiencing side effects:
- If you have an allergy to shell fish or seafood you should avoid using this supplement until advised by your Physician.
- Omega 3 fatty acids may make your blood less likely to clot which can increase your risk for bleeding or bruising.
- Consult with your Physician if you’re taking any blood thinning medications, such as Coumadin, Heparin or Warfarin.
Studies Prove Krill Oil may Improve Cholesterol, Fight Pain and Inflammation
Current research shows that krill oils may actually help improve cholesterol levels, reduce PMS symptoms, fight inflammation and reduce your risk for skin cancer:
1. Improves Cholesterol Levels: Researchers in Montreal, Canada compared omega 3 oils to krill for lowering high cholesterol. They found that patients that took 3 grams a day of fish oils lowered their LDL cholesterol by 4% but the group taking 500 mg to 3 grams of krill oil lowered their LDL cholesterol by 38%!
2. Reduces PMS Symptoms: Do you suffer from PMS? Another study compared the effects of krill oil for reducing premenstrual symptoms. Scientists discovered that women taking krill oils took less pain medication and had less painful cramping and emotional symptoms compared to the group taking other omega 3 oils.
3. Fight Inflammation and Pain: Studies show this oil can reduce the burn of inflammation in seven days. A study conducted at the University of McMaster found it reduced pain and stiffness by over 20% and reduced the chemical marker for inflammation by almost 30%.
4. Protection from Skin Cancer: Do you love getting a nice deep tan but worry about UVB radiation and skin cancer? Sun exposure is a natural source of Vitamin D. However, one of the disadvantages of UVB exposure is the increased risk for skin cancer. Recent animal studies indicate that krill oils may reduce the incidence of skin cancer by almost 50%. Scientists believe there may be the added benefit of anti-oxidant protection not normally available from taking other oils.
Buyer’s Guide to Krill-based Products
Shopping Guide to Krill Supplements: – These products are available from a variety of different companies. Here’s a closer look at some of the most popular brands, including product reviews and price comparisons
A Closer Look at Neptune Krill Ingredients – Is Neptune Krill better than regular krill supplements? Find out right here!
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Neptune Krill Oils – Learn how to choose genuine Neptune Krill supplements based on specific ingredients, dosage information and prices.