Fish Oil Facts
Looking for in-depth information on fish oils?
Here’s your complete guide to what they are and how they can benefit your health.
You’ll also get exclusive information on how to choose the best products with our Buyer’s Guides and unbiased product reviews.
Why are Fish Oils Healthy?
Fish oils are a natural source of the omega 3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic (DHA).
What are omega 3 fatty acids? These are polyunsaturated fatty acids your body needs for the proper support and function of every cell in your brain and nervous system. Your body can’t make omega 3’s, so you need to get them from your diet.
Research confirms that EPA and DHA can lower your risk for heart disease and ease symptoms of depression and other mood-related conditions.
Studies also show they suppress inflammation which relieves symptoms of arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and asthma symptoms.
Specific Health Benefits from Fish Oils
1. Evidence on Using Fish Oils for ADHD – Research shows fish oils may help improve attention spans and lessen hyperactivity in children with ADHD.
2. Allergies – Learn how EPA and DHA reduce allergy symptoms and sources of omega 3’s if you’re allergic to fish.
3. Alzheimer’s Disease – Studies indicate EPA and DHA may reduce the risk for Alzheimer’s disease by up to 60%.
4. Report on Using Fish Oils for Arthritis Pain – Have aching joints? Studies show arthritis patients experienced fewer tender joints, less morning stiffness and increased range of motion with these fatty acids.
5. Asthma Symptoms – Japanese researchers discover fish oils help reduce airway inflammation, improve lung function and lower the amount of drugs needed to control asthma.
6. A Closer Look at Using Fish Oil for Autism – While these oils may not be a definitive cure for autism, some studies indicate they may improve behavior and reduce some symptoms.
7. Cancer – We take a closer look at the conflicting research on the effects of fish oils on cancer.
8. Warning! Fish Oils Alone Won’t Lower Cholesterol – Evidence suggests that omega 3’s may not be able to lower cholesterol, but can lower high triglycerides.
9. Colitis – Researchers found that a few grams of oil may help decrease inflammation, lower steroid drug usage and increase body weight.
10. Using Fish Oils for Crohn’s Disease – Does it Really Work? – Researchers in Italy discovered 72% of patients taking an enteric-coated fish oil soft gel for 12 months were symptom-free, whereas patients that didn’t take fish oils experienced 2.5 times more relapses.
11. Depression – A 2009 Canadian study showed that taking 1 gram of EPA and DHA per day for 8 weeks resulted in less mood swings and improvement symptoms.
12. Diabetes – Do omega 3 fatty acids affect blood sugar and insulin levels? Get your answers with the latest studies on fish oils and diabetes.
13. Four Ways Fish Oils can Help You Lose Weight – Learn how this marine oil can boost your metabolism and improve muscle mass.
How Fish Oils Benefit Your Skin and Hair
Using Fish Oils for Acne – Studies show EPA and DHA may reduce redness and puffiness, lower inflammation and improve the texture and health of acne-prone skin.
Eczema – Learn how Norwegian researchers saw a 30% improvement in patients with eczema that took 6 grams of fish oil per day.
Can You Use Fish Oil for Hair Loss? – Research shows that the fatty acids in fish oil may help improve scalp health which may reduce hair loss.
Dry Skin – Learn how EPA and DHA reduce skin dryness by nourishing and balancing the skin barrier.
Using Fish Oils for Women’s Health Issues
Menstrual Cramps – While diamonds may be a girl’s best friend, this oil may help reduce painful menstrual cramps and promote uterine health.
Health Benefits of Fish Oils during Pregnancy – Studies show pregnancy-diets including omega 3 fatty acids lead to improved fetal growth, stronger eyesight and reduced allergies in new born babies.
Breast Feeding – Got milk? Scientists discover that breast-feeding mothers taking fish oils boosted their baby’s brain and immune systems.
Fish oils are not only great for humans; your favorite pet can also benefit from their many benefits.
Dog Health – Fatty acids from fish can lead to a shinier coat of fur, stronger claws and less joint pain.
Cat Health – Studies show felines can benefit with better skin and fur, reduced arthritis pain and less allergies.
Your Complete Guide to Different Fish Oil Products
Here you’ll find detailed information on the many different types of oils, suggested dosage amounts, product reviews and more.
Kosher Products – Everything you need to know about kosher oils.
Pharmaceutical Grade Oils – Learn how these are made if they’re the best type to buy.
Are Prescription Oils Better than Regular Fish Oils? – Find out if doctor-prescribed products are better than those available at your local natural health store.
Liquid Fish Oils vs Capsules – Are bottle liquids better than soft gels? Learn the pros and cons of each type right here.
Pros and Cons of Enteric-Coated Soft Gels – Discover the benefits of enteric-coatings and if they’re right for you.
Side Effects – Learn about the most common side effects and how you can avoid them.
Dosages – Here are the recommended fish oil dosages from leading health agencies, including the Institute of Health and American Heart Association.
Mercury Risks – Can you get exposed to unsafe levels of mercury from these products? Learn a simple method to help you check the purity of your fish oils.
Advantages of Norwegian Oils – These are made from fish caught in the Norwegian Sea. Find out if these are better than other fish oils.
Fish Oils for Kids – Learn how they may help lower the risk for asthma and allergies, while enhancing their learning skills.
What are IFOS Fish Oils? – Discover why these are rated as some of the best fish oil products and learn which brands carry this label.
Buyer’s Guides, Product Reviews and Forum
Forum – Drop into our forum and learn how other people have used fish oils. We welcome your own comments and questions here.
Consumer’s Guide to Buying the Best Fish Oils – Get all our insider’s tips to choosing the best kind for your health needs.
Specific Brand Name Product Reviews:
Here are detailed reviews of more popular brand names. We looked at fish sources used to make the oil, ingredient analysis, EPA and DHA levels, product comparisons and much more:
- Are Carlson Labs the Best Fish Oils?
- Should You Buy Walmart’s Spring Valley Fish Oils?
- Dr. Barry Sears Omega 3 Concentrates Review
- A Detailed Review of Nordic Naturals Fish Oils
- Minami Omega 3 Concentrates
- Consumer’s Guide to Nature Made Health Products
- Kirkland Costco Brand Review
Home Page > Fish Oil Home Page