6 Health Benefits of Emu Oil
Looking for natural skin care to soften and moisturize your skin?
Here are six health benefits of emu oil that make it one of the most popular oils for skin health:
- It’s non-comedogenic (won’t clog skin pores).
- Easily absorbed by skin.
- Natural anti-inflammatory and may provide pain relief.
- Highly moisturizing.
- May stimulate skin growth.
Health Benefits of Emu Oil from The American Emu Association
Here’s a video from the American Emu Association explaining the benefits of emu oil and why it’s touted as a healing skin oil:
Why You Want to Use Emu Oil for Natural Skin Care:
1. Emu oil is Non-Comedogenic:
- One of the health benefits of emu oil is it has a lower chance of clogging pores, reducing the risk for acne. Some skin care products may aggravate acne as they’re not easily absorbed by the skin.
- I believe emu oil is ‘pore-friendly’ and is non-comedogenic. For people with dry skin and acne, emu oil may help moisturize and balance the skin without aggravating acne or causing more acne to form.
2. Easily Absorbed by the Skin:
- When you first try emu oil you may think it will be greasy on your skin. However, only apply a small amount to your skin and you’ll find that it will slowly absorb into the skin. If you apply too much oil, the excess will sit on top of your skin leaving it feeling oily.
3. Emu oil is Hypo-Allergenic:
- Do you have very sensitive skin? Studies show emu oil has almost the same fatty acid components as human skin. This may explain why the oil is highly compatible to human skin and reduces the possibility of allergic reactions.
4. May Help Fight Inflammation and May Relieve Pain:
- One of the unique health benefits of emu oil is that it has natural anti-inflammatory effects. Research studies have shown the oil may help reduce pain, swelling and stiffness in people with arthritis and other inflammatory conditions.
- Animal studies performed in Asia showed emu oil decreased the level of inflammatory chemicals in the skin Researchers have also learned that emu oil reduces swelling and seeping in burns and sped up healing times in skin burns.
- Another health benefit of emu oil is it may help reduce muscle aches and strains. The oil is widely used by massage and athletic therapists to treat athletes for sore, aching muscles. It makes an excellent sports balm and may help relax muscles and ease stiffness.
5. Highly Moisturizing:
- Did you know emu oil is one of the best natural skin moisturizers?
- Emu oil is naturally absorbed by the skin and may be an external source of essential fatty acids for moist, soft, healthy-looking skin. This is my favorite health benefit of emu oil. I use it all to time to moisturize and soothe my skin after shaving and after taking a shower.
- Some websites claim emu oil helps grow back rete pegs. Rete pegs join the epidermis (top layer of your skin) with the dermis (second layer of skin) and give the skin its elasticity and tightness. When these rete pegs are weakened or disappear with age, the skin may become looser and wrinkles can form.
- While I couldn’t find any medical studies that prove this, I did find that my skin felt more firm and looked smoother after applying emu oil. However, you may or may not experience the same results that I did.
6. May Stimulate Skin Growth:
- A recent animal study using emu oil on burns showed it may stimulate skin cell growth and promote wound healing 24 hours after the initial healing process has begun.
- I tried treating a burn I received on my arm to see if the oil would treat it. I applied the oil twice a day (morning and night) and found the burn appeared to heal a bit faster with reduced scarring.
- I’ve also treated cuts and abrasions with emu oil and it appeared the skin injuries healed faster with a lower amount of scarring and skin tightness. I was quite impressed with the results and will continue these treatments to determine if the results are consistent.
You can see why there are so many health benefits of emu oil. If you’re searching for a skin care product that will help you achieve healthier, younger-looking skin, emu oil may be just what you’re looking for.
You can read the latest emu oil studies and find out how it’s used to treat many skin conditions – from healing burns to treating dry, itchy skin.
These studies just scratch the surface of the many health benefits of emu oil. All-natural healing…just the way Mother Nature intended.