Consumer’s Guide to The Best Tea Tree Oil
Are you looking for the best tea tree oil product? While there are many different products to choose from, you should choose a tea tree oil that will provide the highest quality ingredients in the purest form.
Tea tree oil, which is the essential oil from the Melaleuca Alternifolia plant, has been shown to have antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. These properties are partly due to an ingredient called terpinen 4 OL.
The difference between many tea tree oil products is the actual concentration of terpinen 4 OL that you’re getting in the bottle.
Here are some tips to help you choose the best tea tree oil:
How to Choose the Best Tea Tree Oil
Due to the wide variety of manufacturing practices used by companies that make tea tree oils, you may find a wide variety of products to choose from.
The best tea tree oils will be highly purified products that are properly packaged and provide high concentrations of active ingredients at fairly reasonable prices.
The following criteria can help you choose the best tea tree oil products:
- Determine the % of Terpinen 4 OL:
- Terpinen 4 OL is the primary antiseptic agent in tea tree oils.
- *The higher the percentage of terpinen, the stronger the antiseptic properties.
- Look at the bottle labels to see if the percentage of Terpinen 4 OL is listed; some products may or may not list this information.
- You may find terpinen concentrations can range from 10% to 40%. Some people may be sensitive to higher concentrations so you should be aware of possible tea tree oil side effects. If you think you may be hypersensitive to this type of product it’s recommended a skin patch test be conducted before using a higher concentration.
- All Tea Tree Oils Should Come Packaged to Prevent Light Exposure:
- Studies have shown that the active ingredient in tea tree oil (terpinen-4-ol) can rapidly oxidize and become useless when exposed to light.
- Light exposure can also increase levels of para-cymene (a hydrocarbon found in tea tree oils), a known skin irritant, according to the Environmental Working Group Cosmetic Database.
- You can avoid possible skin irritation by using tea tree oils packages that block light exposure.
- Ensure You’re Getting 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil
- Some oils come mixed with other essential oils, such as eucalyptus or peppermint oils. These diluted mixtures may affect how well the product will work.
- The Best Tea Tree Oil is a 100% Organic Product
- It’s your personal choice whether to purchase products that are 100% Certified Organic. It’s believed that organic products may offer higher levels of purity and terpinen 4-OL concentrations.
- How much does it Cost?
- Prices may depend on:
- The size of the bottle you’re buying
- The overall strength of the product (look at the percentage of Terpinen 4 OL)
- If the oils are 100% pure or mixed (diluted) with another substance
- You may find two ounce (60 ml) bottles range from $10 to $20 and larger 32 ounce bottles priced at over $100.
- Prices may depend on:
Suggested Product Brands of the Best Tea Tree Oils
There are many different products to choose from. Here’s a list of some of the best tea tree oil products:
Now Foods – This is an organic, essential oil made from steam-distilled leaves and provides 100% pure tea tree oils. It comes in a 1 ounce bottle and you can find it for about $12 a bottle.
- Thursday Plantation – This is a popular brand the produces dozens of different products made from tea tree oils. I’ve used this brand a number of times and found it a really good quality product that provides a high concentration of terpinen 4-OL.
- Good n’ Natural – While I haven’t personally used this product, it’s received positive reviews on Amazon.com. This is a 100% pure tea tree oil made from Australian Melaleuca alternifolia leaves. This sells for about $14 for a 2 ounce bottle, but you may be able to find it cheaper at various online retailers.
- Pure Essentials is another product that’s gotten a lot of positive reviews on Amazon.com. I’ve never used this product either, but it does look fairly decent with 100% tea tree oil and it’s pretty cheap at under $6 a bottle.
Many of these products may be found at your local health food store and you can even do an internet search to locate more products.