Meet Your Web Host
Editor & Reporter
Hi, My name is Kevin (learn more about me here) and welcome to this site.
As Editor and Reporter for Healthy-Oil-Planet.com, I've researched the health benefits of natural oils and tried to present you the most accurate and current information for enhancing your health with these products.
Thank you for visiting and I hope you find this site helpful and informative.
My Review of Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil
I’ve tried a number of different coconut oils over the years, and I must say that Tropical Traditions coconut oil is a very good coconut oil.
Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil is one of the first virgin coconut oils to be exported to the United States from the Philippines.
Brian Shilhavy (founder of Tropical Traditions) discovered the health benefits of coconut oils after moving to live in the Philippines with his wife, Marianita. At the time, he believed that coconut oils made by traditional methods were superior to the modern products found in stores.
So he started off with a single virgin coconut oil but has slowly added to his product line. You can now buy a number of different ‘grades’ of coconut oil through Tropical Traditions. The differences in the coconut oils is usually due to how they were processed and the source of the actual coconuts to create the oil.
Here’s more detailed information on the product line.
Tropical Traditions Product Line
1. Gold Label Certified Organic
- This is the company’s premium unrefined virgin coconut oil. It’s hand-made and processed without using heat, chemicals or solvents.
- Only freshly picked coconuts are used within 24 – 48 hours. The plant meat is shredded by a wet mill and then cold-pressed using the water from inside the coconut. The milk is then allowed to sit for about 1/2 days to allow the oil to separate. The oil is then filtered and bottled.
- Tropical Traditions claims the oil contains some of the highest antioxidants and they offer test results on their website.
- This oil is certified organic, according to USDA standards, and produced following GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices).
2. Tropical Traditions Green Label Organic
- The Green Label is machine-made using certified fresh organic coconuts that are first dried and cold-pressed by a machine.
- I believe the main difference between Gold and Green labels is how soon the coconuts are pressed after harvesting. The Gold label uses coconuts within 24 – 28 hours after being picked and the Green label uses fresh coconuts that are a little older.
- The company claims they don’t use copra; a coconut meat that’s been left to dry out in the sun for days which may destroy much of the fresh nutrients.
- No heat, chemicals or solvents are used to make the Green Label oils. The slightly-dried coconut meat is cold-pressed by machine to extract the oil and it’s certified organic, according to USDA standards.
3. Tropical Traditions Expeller-pressed Oils
- This is a high quality refined product and cannot be considered a ‘virgin’ oil. You should consider the Green or Gold Label products for true virgin oils.
- Comes in organic and non-organic, depending on what type of coconuts are used. The non-organic line costs less because you don’t have to pay for the organic certification.
- These oils go through a steam deodorizing and heat process. These steps usually remove most of the taste and scent of coconuts from the oil.
- Tropical Traditions claims this product line is one of their most economical and they recommend it to people who don’t want to spend a lot for virgin coconut oils. They claim these non-hydrogenated oils contain high amounts of lauric acid.
How Much Does it Cost?
Here are prices for the Tropical Traditions Gold Label coconut oil. Only the Gold Label prices are listed below, and I found that the Green Label and Expeller-pressed oils usually cost slightly less than the Gold Label brand.
|Size||Cost||Cost Per Ounce|
|1 Gallon (128 oz)||$70.00|
|5 Gallon (640 oz)||$230.00|
When I compared the prices to other competing coconut oils, I found Tropical Traditions was about equal in cost per ounce to Dr. Mercola’s Fresh Shores Coconut Oil and a few cents more than Nutiva Coconut Oil.
So Just How good is Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil?
I was fortunate enough to receive a bottle of the Gold Label Tropical Traditions and I must say it’s an excellent high quality coconut oil.
The product has a nice clean coconut scent and the texture is smooth and silky. I found the oil to have a very rich, yet clean, flavor. I tried mixing a tablespoon of the oil into my cup of coffee (try it, you’ll like it!) and it melted instantly. When I used the product as an after-shower skin moisturizer it absorbed quickly and left my skin feeling more soft, smooth and moisturized.
Depending on where you live, you might be able to get this product line at your local health food store or organic food store. You can also order directly from the company website. They have a U.S. distributor in Nevada and also distributors located in Canada, Europe and Australia.
Another great place to get this product is from online retailers. The main advantage is you can compare prices and also get the best rates on shipping.