What is Nature Made Fish Oil and it this a safe product to use?
This omega 3 fish oil supplement is manufactured by Pharmavite, a nutritional supplement company based in Northridge, California.
Nature Made produces a wide range of nutritional supplements, including herbal supplements, vitamins and minerals.
Nature Made claims to use only fish oils from wild, deep water, ocean fish such as anchovies and sardines. One of the benefits of using smaller fish is they tend to have lower levels of contaminants compared to larger fish.
The fish oils are reported to be inspected and tested to insure that there are no detectable levels of PCB's, dioxins, and heavy metals such as lead or mercury.
The Nature Made website states their fish oils are purified using molecular-distillation or absorbent technology.
Molecular-distillation is a popular method for making pharmaceutical-grade fish oils.
I'm not familiar with absorbent technology and searches on "Google" failed to show any information on this method of purification. I contacted Nature Made for more information on this purification method and will post their response once I receive it. At this point, I think this is more of a marketing term right now until I hear otherwise from Nature Made.
Nature Made claims all batches of their fish oil are guaranteed to pass standards set forth by the CRN (Council for Responsible Nutrition) Omega-3 Monograph, as well as purity standards with the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) and the FDA's GMP (Good Manufacturing Practises) for dietary supplements.
| Give Feedback!
NEW! Got Questions or Reviews about Nature Made Fish Oil?
Click Here and Share Your Comments
Read Other Visitors' Feedback Here
Before buying a fish oil product, I like to see how much of the omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) comes with each serving.
If you look at the Nature Made website, you'll find they only list the EPA and DHA breakdown of certain products.
Nature Made states that they'll specify the total amount of omega 3's in their fish oils but no longer specify the amount of EPA and DHA in all of their products.
Nature Made believes the EPA and DHA makeup of the omega-3 in the world’s fish supply has become less constant due to where the fish are caught and fluctuations in water temperature and weather.
They also claim most manufacturers have removed the omega-3 breakdown from their labels for these same reasons.
I'm not sure how accurate this last statement is; I've found the majority of fish oil manufacturers continue to list the amount of EPA and DHA in their products and it's an important criteria I use to buy fish oils.
Nature Made Heart &
Nature Made produces a number of fish oil products for a variety of health care needs. They come in a wide choice of quantities; from 60 to 300 soft gels per bottle.
The ingredient labels on their products list the amounts you would get with two (2) soft gels per dosage.
I think this is an important fact to note since the initial ingredient amount may look high, but this amount may only be what you'd get with two (2) soft gels, not one.
What I do is simply divide the total amount ingredient amount by 2 to get the actual amount of EPA, DHA and omega 3 per soft gel.
Here's a quick breakdown of the different Nature Made Fish Oil products:
- This is Nature Made's entry level fish oil product. It provides a low concentration of omega 3 fatty acids at an affordable price.
- Each 1200 mg. soft gel contains Fish Oil Concentrate (anchovy, sardine), Glycerin, Water, Tocopherol and Soy.
- Comes in a variety of quantities as well as bonus counts; 60, 100, 120, 180 and 300 softgels.
- Each 1200 mg. soft gel provides 360 mg. of EPA and DHA combined.
- Similar in price point and omega 3 concentration as Spring Valley Fish Oil.
- Suggested List Price $11.99 U.S. for a 100 count bottle of 1200 mg. soft gels.>
- Comes in an enteric-coating soft gel. Nature Made produced this enteric-coating to reduce fish burps and aftertaste for people that may be sensitive to non-enteric-coated fish oils.
- Enteric-coatings can be made from shellacs, waxes, cellulose and acrylics. The Nature Made website doesn't specifically list the ingredients of their enteric-coatings.
- Provides the same amount of EPA and DHA as the regular Nature Made fish oil (360 mg. EPA & DHA combined).
- Suggested List Price $11.29 for a 60 count bottle of 1200 mg. soft gels.
- A more concentrated formula that provides 672 mg. of EPA and 552 mg. of DHA per serving of two softgels. This works out to about 336 mg. of EPA and 276 mg. of DHA per soft gel.
- Suggest List price $17.47 U.S. for a 90 count bottle of 1200 mg. soft gels.
- Provides a higher dose of EPA for individuals looking for a high dose EPA fish oil soft gel.
- Each serving of two (2) soft gels provides 1000 mg. EPA and 200 mg. DHA or 500 mg. EPA and 100 mg. DHA per soft gel.
- Suggested List price $13.69 U.S. for a 60 count bottle.
- Contains Fish Oil Concentrate, Flaxseed Oil, Safflower Oil, Gelatin, Glycerin, Olive Oil, Water, d-Alpha Tocopherol, Soybean Oil.
- Provides a total of 880 mg. of omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids in quantities of Omega 3 (434 mg), Omega 6 (276 mg) and Omega 9 (170 mg) per soft gel.
- May be suitable for people seeking a fatty acid supplement with broader coverage of different healthy fats.
- Flaxseed oil and fish oil are both sources of omega 3 fatty acids. The ingredient label doesn't indicate how much of each oil comprises the total omega 3 dosage per soft gel.
- Suggested List Price $29.98 U.S. for a 60 count bottle.
I think Nature Made fish oil is affordable supplement for individuals seeking a general fish oil supplement.
The entry level brand of Nature Made Fish Oil provides 360 mg. of EPA and DHA per 1200 mg. soft gel. This provides a 30% concentration of omega 3's per soft gel.
The Nature Made Double Strength Fish Oil provides only a slightly higher amount of EPA and DHA per soft gel. If you're looking for a general fish oil supplement, these products may meet your needs.
For individuals seeking a stronger, therapeutic effect from omega 3's, they may want to use a higher concentration omega 3 fish oil such as Dr. Sears Omega 3 Concentrates or CardiO-3 by Minami Nutrition. These products can provide over 70% omega 3 concentrations.
While some studies are inconclusive, there is emerging evidence that higher concentrations of omega 3 concentrates may be more effective at lowering triglyceride levels and reducing inflammatory markers in the body.
It would be nice to see lab results that verify the purity of their fish oil; whether it's through a Certificate of Analysis or Batch testing results available on their website.
A few fish oil companies offer this service (Minami Fish Oils is one) and hopefully more companies will get on board with this much needed service.
Reviews at Amazon.com for Nature Made Fish Oil Omega-3 indicate most consumers are fairly satisfied with this product. A few people stated they would like to see higher omega 3 dosages per soft gel (something I also agree with) but they were quite pleased with the price and quality for this entry level fish oil supplement.
Nature Made fish oils are a popular fish oil supplement found in many retailers. Have you used Nature Made Fish Oil supplements? Do you have questions about this brand of fish oil? Please share your comments/questions in the form below and I'll be happy to publish them!
Click below to read more Nature Made Fish Oil reviews and comments....
How much DHA is in Nature Made 1000 mg. soft gels? Not rated yet
I take Nature Made Burp-less Fish Oil, 1000 mg soft gel containing 300 mg. of omega 3 fatty acids. The "Supplement Facts" on the back does not state how …