Meet Your Web Host
Editor & Reporter
Hi, My name is Kevin (learn more about me here) and welcome to this site.
As Editor and Reporter for Healthy-Oil-Planet.com, I've researched the health benefits of natural oils and tried to present you the most accurate and current information for enhancing your health with these products.
Thank you for visiting and I hope you find this site helpful and informative.
Guide to Buying the Best Flaxseed Oil Supplements
Looking for the best flaxseed oil supplements?
You can get flaxseed oil in many different forms; organic, refined, soft gels and liquids. You can also find them mixed with lignans and other oil blends to enhance their health benefits. With so many choices, how do you choose the best one? Follow these tips to help you choose the best oils.
Six Steps to Choosing the Best Flaxseed Oils
The following is more detailed information to help you find the best products based on a number of criteria:
- Are the Oils Cold Pressed and Unrefined?
- Cold pressed means no heat was used to make the oils. Excessive heat exposure can damage the fragile omega-3 fatty acids which may lower their nutritional value.
- Look for unrefined products where the least amount of processing is used to make them. Highly-refined oils could be exposed to dozens of processing steps which may affect the quality of the oil.
- Made from Certified-Organic Flax seeds:
- The best products are grown without pesticides or artificial fertilizers. You can find oils that are free of chemical solvents, artificial colours, preservatives and genetically modified ingredients.
- Packaged in Dark Bottles and Low Oxygen Environment:
- Try to look for products packaged in dark glass bottles or opaque containers to limit light exposure.
- The best oils are processed and packaged in a low-oxygen environment to protect against oxidation of the fatty acids.
- An example of liquid product packaged in dark bottles is Barlean’s Organic Flax Oil
- Contains only 100% Pure Oils:
- Look at the ingredient label to ensure you’re getting 100% pure flaxseed oil.
- Some manufacturers may add other ingredients or other oils such as pumpkin seed oils, sunflower oils, sesame seed or borage oils.
- Try Capsules and Soft gels:
- You can also purchase the oils packaged in capsules and soft gels. Soft gels are usually tamper-proof and the ingredients are less likely to go rancid due to the protective soft gel casing.
- When buying capsules or soft gels, look for higher dosages per soft gel, so you’ll get a higher amount of omega 3 fatty acids per soft gel.
- Reasonably Priced
- You should pay a fair price for good quality products.
- Bottled liquids are usually available in 8 ounce to 32 ounce bottles. Prices can range from 75 cents to $1 per ounce, depending on the brand.
- The cost of soft gel flaxseed will depend on the dosage and number of soft gels per bottle. Average prices for 100 capsules per bottle range from $15 – $25 for 1000 mg. softgels. Look at the ingredient label and see what you’re getting per capsule and the cost per capsule.
Important Tip if Buying Oils with Lignans
You may find flaxseed oils with lignans added to them.
Lignans are a plant compound with antioxidant properties and they’re found in the hull of the flaxseed. The seed hull is also a source of fiber and it’s usually removed during the processing of the oil.
Some manufacturers may add flaxseed particles to the oils and then market them as high-lignan flaxseed oil.
The problem most of these types of products is you may only get 2 – 4 mg. of lignans per teaspoon of oil and researchers believe we need 40 – 50 mg. of lignans per day to get health benefits from them. So you may be paying a higher price for no actually extra health benefits.
If you want a high-lignan flaxseed oils, look at the ingredient label to see if they list the actual lignan content. Some companies may call their products high-lignan, but they may not disclose how much lignans you’re getting in the bottle. The highest source of lignans is always found in ground flaxseeds.
Before you go out and buy that bottle of high-lignan oils, read this article warning consumers about low-lignan flaxseed oils.
Examples of Flaxseed Oils:
One of the most popular flaxseed oils on Amazon.com is Barlean’s Organic High Lignan Flax Oil.
This product has one of the highest customer reviews with many people pleased with the delicious nutty flavor and the health benefits from the omega 3 fatty acids.
You can also find flaxseed oils at your local organic health food store and online retailers.
Remember to read ingredient labels and research the company that makes the product before purchasing. If you follow the above tips, you can be confident you’re getting a quality flaxseed oil.